Northeast and its Music
India is a vast country extending from the mighty Himalayas in the north to the soothing ocean in the south, from the Rann in the west to the Brahmaputra in the northeast. Because of the vast extent, various regions of India have their own cultures. The northeast portion of India is connected to the mainland through a narrow passage, being secluded it has a distinct culture very much different from mainland India. India’s North East is a land of undulating hills and plains with a luxuriant green cover and a wide variety of rare and exotic flora and fauna.
Music for most people is a form of hobby or recreation but the people of the hills have music in their blood. Even though it is part of their rich culture and tradition, people of the hilly North Eastern Region are plain good singers. They can naturally follow a tune; spontaneously hum a line or two, while the more gifted ones are innate to composing both lyrics and music. The music culture in the northeast has developed over time.
North East India is not only blessed with natural beauty but is also very rich in music, traditional dance, and instruments.
The unique style of the classical and folk music of the northeast makes it one of the hot spots in the music industry in India. Northeast’s Shillong is well known as the Rock Capital of India for its best rock bands and famous Hornbill National Rock Contest. The Rock Bands of Northeast India are very rich in various styles of rock music, from soft rock and roll and rock pop to hard rock and metal. The famous seven sister states with one brother have several rock bands who are very famous locally and have also performed internationally.
Northeast and its Music
There are many bands to name a few we have:
- Soulmate -Shillong: it is one of the most successful blues bands in India .it is the first and only blues band ever to represent India in the world. The northeast band was formed by a lead guitarist, singer and songwriter Rudy Wallang and vocalist Tipriti Kharbangar. Aberrant another rock band from Shillong is crowned as ‘Meghalaya Icon III” at a rock music competition in Meghalaya.
- Lucid Recess: it is a metal rock band from the city of Guwahati, Assam. It was formed in 2004 by brothers Siddharth and Amitabh Barooa. The alternative metal band has won the Toto Award for Music 2011.
- Purple Fusion: They have their forte in World Music/Folk Fusion. Purple Fusion delves and experiments with Naga traditional music along with folk music from other parts of the world. Formed in 2012, the band blends indigenous ethnic music with western genres like Blues, Jazz, Funk, Reggae, and Rock.
- Tetseo Sisters: They perform in Folk/Fusion/Pop it is Adorned the Naga songsters. Accompanied by the ‘Tati/Heka Libuh’ – an age-old Naga one-stringed instrument, these sisters sing in the Chokri dialect of the Chakhesang Naga tribe.
- Alobo Naga -Dimapur: Alobo Naga was formed in 2010.The band is the first band from the North East region to be on the Top 10 Countdown list of international music channels. It is a rock band making people dance to their beats.
- Alien Gods -Itanagar: Alien Gods is the Death Metal band of North East.it was formed in 2005 .it is a metal band that has been performing in the northeast since its inception.
- Divine Connection: they perform in Rock/Blues/Jazz/Gospel. The band has been experimenting with Blues, Jazz, Funk, Gospel, and Rock since they got together in 2004. The band has also won the title of ‘The Best Rock Band in India’ at MTV’s Rock On (Desi Beats) in 2010!
These are just a few bands but if you indulge in the bands and music of the northeast, you’ll be mesmerized and drowned in their world. India is home to some of the most incredibly talented musicians, Northeast has hidden musical gems that are gaining names not only in India but also internationally. There are also various non-resident Indians who have formed bands rooted in Indian culture. Such is the beauty of band music and Northeast!